The kids still have snotty noses, but they are so much better. After fighting tooth and nail NOT to get on the oil bandwagon, I got the kit, and used them during our trip and then after we got home, for jet lag and for sinus infections, and they seem to be helping. We have had several outings over the last few days, most of which I have posted on Facebook, but I want to keep a record here as well. Greg has been working close to home to help our transition be more smooth. Fisher gets nervous when someone is not here, or he can't find one of us. Greg has to make his first out of town run this week and I pray it will not be too stressful for Fisher.
We planted our first garden in several years and we are so excited. Fisher loves to be outside and I am so glad! He helped Cutter pick up rocks for over an hour yesterday. The picture below is Greg showing him a worm. He wasn't too fond of that. He doesn't really like to be dirty...he is getting over that!
He had his first trip to Walmart this week. I took a picture of him in front of the store. He was in a buggy with Greg pushing and I was pushing Trinity. Of course, just like any kid, he wanted everything he saw. We got to the grocery side and started puting some things in the buggy. He saw the milk and he said, "oh, so happy!" Then we put in some cereal, he said, "oh, so happy!" We put in some Oreos, and he said it again. Needles to say, he liked Walmart.
Every time we take him somewhere or we see something, I can't help but wonder if it's the first time he has seen it. I remember the first time he went outside at our house, and we went out to the grass. I don't think he had ever seen grass, really. In China, the foster home where he lived was in an apartment complex. There was a playground, but I don't remember seeing any grass. I don't remember seeing much grass at all in China. Granted, we stayed in the city, but still, another example of things we take for granted.
We got a watermelon when we went to Walmart. The kids wanted to eat it for an afternoon snack after they had been outside playing.
I cut all the kids a piece and put them on plates. Fisher picked his up, and took a bite out of the green part. He made a face like it was sour or something. I showed him the pink side and told him to eat it that way. He liked that so much better. He is learning to love American food and being a southerner!
The first Sunday morning we were home, and still not sleeping well, Sterling was so sweet and got up and fixed us all breakfast in bed. We were getting ready to eat when Fisher put his hands together and said, "Pray!" He has only been with us for 3 weeks, and he is already picking that up. We wonder sometimes if the things we do over and over, the small things, the routines, the traditions, the schedules, if they make a difference in our kids lives. Well, they do. He is already picking up so quickly on how we live and the things we do consistently. We have had our nightly family Bible study a few times as well, and he is already getting accustomed to sitting and reading his books and listening to daddy teach.
Fisher is so sweet with Trinity. I have been so worried about jealousy between them. I don't see anything any different from biological siblings. There are times of love and times of squabble. But the love shines through so brightly. He is usually the first one up in the mornings. When he gets up, I bring him into bed with me and Greg. He is such an affectionate child, which is a Godsend! We need some work in that area, and The Lord knows that, so in His providence, He has given us a child who loves to hug and kiss. He gets in our bed and immediately starts kissing me and Greg. He holds our hands and just lays there looking at us. It is amazing. Then, after a few minutes, Trinity usually wakes up. So we go together to get her. Fisher RUNS in her room over to her crib shouting "Meimei!" And he sticks his face up to the crib to hug her. One morning I will have to video that because I have never seen anything so sweet.
They are very close in age, only 18 months apart, so they do a lot of the same things. They are really very close to the same size too. They could probably wear the same clothes. Trinity calls him "Shisher"..."F's" are still a little hard to say. :)
We went for a walk yesterday, it was beautiful. I showed the little ones (nicknamed "wrecking crew") how to blow those flowers, but I can't for the life of me remember the names of them. Oh, saw it on Frozen tonight, they are dandelions! They loved it. It is so precious to witness their childlike joy in each new discovery.
I love this picture. They were petting the cat. Fisher was PETRIFIED of the dogs and cats the first few days. He would scream and cry when they would come anywhere near him. We are so thankful that our pets are sweet and gentle, so he is getting used to them. I think it is so cute to dress them alike. This is a fundraiser Tshirt that we bought before we left for China, but they didn't come in until while we were gone. The front says, "Change starts with ONE" and the back has Proverbs 24:12. I can't figure out which translation it is, but it's close to this: "Once our eyes are opened, we cannot pretend we do not know what to do, God who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows that we know, and holds us responsible to act." I have heard it said before and it's so true, it's easy to look the other way until the orphans have faces and names and you have held them and talked to them. There are many, many orphans who need forever homes. Not all are called to adopt, by no means, but we can all support adoption in some way. MANY of you supported us, and look at what a sweet blessing Fisher is! He is an orphan NO MORE!
Fishers friend, Kate, from his foster home in China, is getting ready to come home to her forever family in Huntsville, Alabama! Isn't that awesome? They are still in need of funds, and scheduled to travel in 9 days. Be looking out for a Facebook post with her picture, I will share.
Gia, I look forward to your posts! It is so encouraging to see God working....and blessing your sweet family! I would love to know more about Kate....We live in Huntsville and have some good friends who have adopted from China. Thank you for sharing this journey with us....I am amazed!
ReplyDeletehttp://www.bothhandsfoundation.org/rousseladoption
ReplyDeleteCindy, thank you for following along! We are amazed at what The Lord has done, and are so thankful for His faithfulness. See the link I posted above about the Roussels :)
Delete