I have to admit, nowadays I am a bit scared of flying. What's funny is that I used to work for an airline! I flew all the time, here and there, and didn't think a thing about it. I guess when you get out of "practice" things aren't as easy. Or maybe it's that I am getting older and realize how precious life really is. Back when I was flying a lot, I was young and I thought I was invincible. LOL! So when we got to the airport this morning, and I saw the size of our plane to Detroit, I was a bit uneasy. It was a very small plane, there was only one flight attendant, and it was a full flight. So full, that we didn't have seats together.
Well here we come, the three ringed circus! Sterling and cutter have their pull behind bags, I have the stroller and Trinity plus a bag and my diaper bag. Greg has his bag and Trinity's car seat. The aisle way is tiny. Tiiiinyyy. And like I said, our seats weren't all together. We had 2 in this row, 2 in another row and 1 in yet another row. Trinity, being in a car seat, is required to sit by a window, which is causing problems because non of our assigned seats included window seats. In my mind I'm thinking, it's 6:00am, these are probably mostly business travelers. They are sooooo over our little circus caravan! Well here comes the flight attendant. Here we go...she is going to let us have it. Not even close.
Her name was Deborah. She moved us to the back of the plane and let us all sit together. She helped us with our bags, helped the children, and was just so kind and compassionate. (Really I must say all of the passengers on that flight seemed nice.). The flight was just over 2 hours. After we reached our "cruising altitude" (lol) Deborah began to come down the aisle with beverages and snacks. Since we were at the back of the plane, we were the last ones served. Once she got back to us she began to ask us where we were going etc. Greg proceeded to tell her that we were adopting a little boy from China. She paused a moment, and asked, "what made you decide to do that?" Greg proceeded to tell her how The Lord had led us to adoption and it led into a discussion about how The Lord saved us and changed us. She said she was a believer as well and started asking us more questions and we began to talk about The Lord and His work.
Deborah asked if she could pray for us. Yes, you read that right. She asked if she could pray for us, in a very small airplane, full of people. Her prayer was genuine and seemed truly spirit-filled. I felt such a peace come over me as she prayed. It was as if The Lord was gently touching my shoulder and easing my anxiety. After she prayed she went away to finish her duties, tending to trash and cleanup to prepare for landing. We had talked almost the whole time, but really it seemed like only moments. When we were making our descent into Detroit, Deborah walked back to where we were to talk to us again. She said that she felt The Lord was pleased with us. She said it several times. Then she said that she could see our light shining for The Lord, and that she thought others could as well. Oh glory! My prayers! My prayers over and over lately have been for our lights to shine so that people would "see our good deeds and glorify Our Father in heaven". I never want for people to look at us and pat us on the back or be impressed by what we are doing. It has nothing to do with us. It is all HIM. I only want my words and deeds to bring glory to our Lord Jesus Christ.
As if this wasn't enough, Deborah then pointed to Cutter and said, "he's gonna be a preacher man". She told us that The Lord had something special planned for him. She talked at length to Greg about how important his influence was on Cutter and how intentional he needed to be in the example he was setting. I felt like I wanted to sit and listen to her talk for hours. But unfortunately, our time was up, and we were landing in Detroit. When we got off the plane, we all hugged her like we had known her for years, and I can tell you that we will never forget her.
Great post Gia! I hope and pray that you meet with people like Deborah all along your journey! Kyle
ReplyDeleteOh Gia!!! Such an answer to prayer!!!!! I love stories like this; makes me feel I am right there with you!!! We continue to pray for y'all throughout our day/your night. I guess you could say we've got night duty! We love y'all and miss y'all!!!!
ReplyDeleteWhat a blessing to read this! Isn't it amazing how God will put just the right people in your path at just the right time?! So encouraging.. thank you! Praying for you guys to have a safe trip while you are there and coming back!
ReplyDelete