Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Quiver Full

I hope this post ends up as less of a rant and more of a praise report, but I'm not promising anything.  If you know us at all, you know that when we first got married, Greg and I were not saved.  We were of the world, in the world, wrapped up around the world.  Everything was about "me, me, me".  Greg worked a job that caused him to travel a lot when we first got married.  He made really good money, but it was a real stress on our relationship.  Add to that me being pregnant 6 months after we got married, and building a house and you have a recipe for disaster.  Our fights were explosive.  They were about little stuff and big stuff.  I "deserved me time" and he deserved his time.  We were fighting as hard as we could to carve out time for ourselves, every chance we got.  I shopped, and Greg would usually go hunting or fishing, when he was in town at all.

When Sterling came, we were so naive.  We sat her in front of the TV as soon as we could prop her up.  I was still working, though I was able to work from home which was nice.  I spent very little time with her, but yet the time I did spend with her seemed so stressful and I needed some quiet time, so as soon as I could, I found a Mother's Day out program.  Whew!  Now I can get something done around here. (More shopping).  Because I was constantly trying to do things for myself, caring for my child seemed an inconvenience.  Then...in the midst of my selfishness and pride and busyness...Jesus saved me!  He changed my heart and His Spirit came to dwell inside me.  I joined a women's Bible study and The Lord began to work in me.  But I still felt like two kids was all I could handle.  I didn't have the patience for more.  We couldn't afford anymore.  It would cut into our alone time.  It would keep us from traveling and riding horses like we wanted.  And on and on and on...

But a couple of years ago The Lord revealed to us what a blessing children are.  He changed my heart and helped me to see that I was trying so hard to please myself, that I was miserable.  He began to work in me and allow me to slowly learn to turn my focus from myself to my children.  We began homeschooling and being more intentional about teaching our children the Word of God.  We stopped trying to be in charge of my womb and turned that over to The Lord.  He blessed us with Trinity.  He allowed us to adopt our son from China.  Our family has changed.  It is a miracle!


Today, almost seven years later, we have 5 beautiful children.  3 biological and 1 born in China...and one on the way.  Yes that is what I said, 1 on the way!  The Lord has seen fit to bless us again with another arrow.  And just as it did when we announced I was expecting Trinity, the comments have started.  Why do people not like children?  They would never say it out loud, but it's how they feel.  They feel that 2 is plenty if you have 1 boy 1 girl...ok 3 if you have 2 of the same so you can try for the other sex.  But have any more than that and you are just plain silly.  I mean why on earth would you want any more?  You already have 4!  We have such a messed up view of what children are.  For that matter we have a messed up view of what our lives are supposed to be.  "The one who dies with the most toys wins".  Sounds crass, but honestly, it seems that is where we are.  "We can't get as much stuff, or do as much stuff when we have kids."  "You have to give up so much when you have kids."  "Your life is over when you have kids"  UGH! 

Someone even said they thought we must be brainwashed or in a cult or something.  Really?  For having 5 kids?  Look back. People used to have a lot of kids.  Why do you think so?  Get to know a large family and you will see why.  We could learn a lot from past generations.  

Gods Word says that children are a heritage, a reward, arrows in the hand of a warrior, a blessing, fruit...And that is only from one chapter!  That is the truth.  That is what we will believe, not these ridiculous lies that are floating around these days.  

Psalms 127 (NET) "1 If the LORD does not build a house, then those who build it work in vain. If the LORD does not guard a city, then the watchman stands guard in vain.  2 It is vain for you to rise early, come home late, and work so hard for your food. Yes, he can provide for those whom he loves even when they sleep. 3 Yes, sons are a gift from the LORD, the fruit of the womb is a reward. 4 Sons born during one's youth are like arrows in a warrior's hand. 5 How blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! They will not be put to shame when they confront enemies at the city gate."

Now, let me ask you, why do you think the last part of verse 5 says what it does?  Look at it.  Why would you have enemies at the city gate if your quiver was full of children?  Why would there be confrontation?  I'm learning this more and more with every child.  People will confront you if you have lots of kids.  They just do.  They think that if you have lots of kids, you don't have any feelings so they can just say whatever they want.  And it makes me mad.  But my enemy is not flesh and blood, so I don't blame the ones who say the comments.  The real enemy is Satan, and he is the one that hates children.  He wants to convince us that they are a bother, just a choice to be made.  He has been trying to kill children since the beginning of time.  He wants us to believe that WE have the authority to control our lives, not God.  He sold Adam and Eve the same lie!  I bought the lie for too many years myself.  :(. The truth is, God is in control, not us, and THAT is how it should be.

Let me ask you something else, if someone offered you a box full of money would you turn it down?  What if you took it and they came back a couple of years later and asked if you wanted more?  Would you say, "no thank you, I already have one box of money I don't need anymore".  Of course not!  But children are a reward.  Why do we want to limit the rewards that The Lord gives us?  Oh how I wish I knew this truth yeas ago when I was younger.  But thank The Lord, He has revealed it to me before it was too late.  

Yes, having child number 5 is a little scary for this only child, but the Lord has provided for us thus far, why would He stop now?  He has been faithful to bless us and to strenghten us in many, many ways.  We are so thankful to Him for what He has done and give Him all the glory for any light that shines from our lives.  

So, if you are like me, and have lived too long believing the lie, it's not too late!  Submit to Jesus as Lord of your life and Lord of your womb.  He is faithful. 

And last but not least, if you see someone with what you think is a lot of kids, or you hear that someone you know is expecting their 2nd, 3rd or 12th child, please remember that they have feelings, and that it is the enemy who is prompting you to say something crass, so resist that urge and simply smile, or say congratulations...and ask The Lord to help you really mean it.  

"Children are a heritage which Jehovah himself must give, or a man will die childless, and thus his house will be unbuilt. And the fruit of the womb is his reward, or a reward from God. He gives children, not as a penalty nor as a burden, but as a favour. They are a token for good if men know how to receive them, and educate them. They are "doubtful blessings" only because we are doubtful persons. Where society is rightly ordered children are regarded, not as an incumbrance, but as an inheritance; and they are received, not with regret, but as a reward. " Charles Spurgeon

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully said!! SO happy for y'all!! Congratulations on #5!!! :) <3 J

    ReplyDelete