She was just over 3 months old. Like I said, she is a very agreeable child. So when she woke up that morning she was a little cranky, which is not normal for her. But we had a big day the day before and she didnt nap much so I just figured she was tired. So when she took a 3 hour morning nap, I still just thought she was tired, until I woke her up...and she was hot. But a temperature of 99.8 isnt something I would usually worry about. So I called Greg just to let him know what was going on, and he said to give the Dr a call just to be safe. Again, something we would not normally do. So I called and the nurse hesitated, but said because of her age, just to go ahead and bring her in. By the time I got to the doctors office, her temperature was 102.7. The doctor noted her lethargic behavior and a couple of suspicious dots on her legs. She called Childrens Hospital...she suspected Meningitis. The ER doctor instructed our pediatrician to give an antibiotic immediately. They wanted us to take an ambulance, but it couldnt leave the area to go all the way to Birmingham. So we drove. Greg had already started toward the doctor when I told him we were going. When the fever was low. Again, something very unusual for him to meet us at a doctors appointment. By the time we reached the ER her temperature was 104! They ran some tests and kept us for 5 days. She ran fever for 48 hours and vomited for 24. It was a scary time. I thought we were going to lose her. The tests all came back negative, but the doctors said they could be a false negative since the pediatrician gave the antibiotic. So they treated her for a severe bacterial infection, for meningitis. They believed that is what she had. The Lord spared her. Through the trial, He poured out His love upon us and strengthened our faith. He began grooming us and teaching us, preparing us through this trial. He used scripture to comfort us and showed Himself in so many ways. Greg told me later that he had prayed that morning for God to help him improve his prayer life. My prayer for Greg that morning,which I didnt remember until later was for him to run to God in times of trouble. The nurse at the pediatricians office told us later that she almost didnt tell us to come in with such a low fever. She was, and we were, so glad she did! I met one nurse who shared her story with me about adoption of a special needs child and I know that was God's way of encouraging me and showing me that if He was calling us to that, He thought we were trustworthy and He would equip us. I began to see that He may be preparing us for trials that may come through adoption (hospital stays, humility, lack of control, sickness of a child, reliance upon Him alone). It was something I had feared already. I didnt think I could handle it. And I know now, that I was right. I cant, but He can!
“Sacrifice thank offerings to God,
fulfill your vows to the Most High,
and call on me in the day of trouble;
I will deliver you, and you will honor me.”
Psalm 50:14-15
No comments:
Post a Comment