"Therefore if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creature; the old things passed away; behold, new things have come." 2 Corinthians 5:17
Sunday, February 17, 2013
Leading us toward adoption
At the end of 2011 the Lord began to draw me to desire more children. I remember when I was young, my best friend had 7 brothers and sisters. I LOVED to spend time with them. I think I even asked her mother to adopt me one time. But as I got older, because I never had any experience with small children myself, I thought I really didnt want kids. I thought they would take away from what I wanted. They would cramp my style. So, here I am married and starting a family. We had Sterling and that was great and after Cutter came, we felt like we had the perfect size family. Cutter was a difficult baby too. He didnt sleep until he was 3! So Greg and I both were adamant that we were "done". And of course, we felt like it was our decision to make. How naive could I be? But here I was, 39 years old, and beginning to desire more children. I began to believe what the Bible said about them being a blessing and wondering why I wouldnt want God to bless us more? I also began to wonder why I thought I had the right to be in control of that decision. What could I be missing out on that God had for us? I really thought that probably, I was not able to physically have any more. I had already had 2 C-sections and with my age I just didnt think it would...or should...happen. At the same time, the Lord began softening my heart toward orphans. His Word is, of
course, full of references to taking care of the orphan and widow, but
this was personal. I looked around at how blessed we were as a family,
and it seemed to me that we should share our blessings. Isnt that why
the Lord blesses us, so we can share with others? Greg was not convinced that this was God's will for us at first. I prayed for months and months for God to reveal His will to Greg regarding adoption. I wrote in January 2012 that God must intervene if He desired for us to adopt...Greg was not for it and money was tight. The Lord did intervene. Several months later, we attended a conference called Know More Orphans. Greg was on board and ready to fill out paperwork. But lo and behold, the Lord blessed us...we were expecting our 3rd child. So for now, adoption was to go on hold. I was so scared about all of it, the pregnancy, the delivery, everything. And honestly, I was a little disappointed that we could not proceed with the adoption application. They dont allow you to apply if you are expecting. So for now, we put that aside and began to focus on preparing for our 3rd child.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment