Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Provision for the Orphan

I have been studying about adoption in scripture and I just came across something I wanted to share.  In the book of Deuteronomy the Lord references something called the "sacred portion".  I had never heard of it before, or if I had, I had forgotten.  

 "When you have finished paying all the tithe of your increase in the third year, the year of tithing, then you shall give it to the Levite, to the stranger, to the orphan and to the widow, that they may eat in your towns and be satisfied.  You shall say before the LORD your God, 'I have removed the sacred portion from my house, and also have given it to the Levite and the alien, the orphan and the widow, according to all Your commandments which You have commanded me; I have not transgressed or forgotten any of Your commandments." Deuteronomy 26:12-13

This tithe was specifically intended to care for the widows and orphans.  Look also at this:

'Now when you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap to the very corners of your field, nor shall you gather the gleanings of your harvest.  'Nor shall you glean your vineyard, nor shall you gather the fallen fruit of your vineyard ; you shall leave them for the needy and for the stranger. I am the LORD your God." Lev 19:9-10

The Lord here made provisions for the orphan through the law of gleaning which said that when they were harvesting they were to leave extra behind for the alien, the orphan and widow.  In these ways, the Lord had made a way for the orphans to be cared for.  We too, should follow this example and set aside a "sacred portion" of our time, talent and treasure to care for the orphan.  We are all familiar with James 1:27 "Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."

As I kept studying I came across another study by Graeme Carle called "A New Look at Tithing".  I didnt read the entire paper but what I did read was interesting.  He pointed out that this tithe and the law of gleaning were the Lord's temporary provision for the orphans and widows.  However, the Lord's permanent provision for the orphans and widows was "A Redeemer", for them to be reincorporated back into a household.  The story of Ruth is a perfect example of this.  The Lord provided for Ruth and Naomi as widows temporarily through the law of gleaning, by providing them food to eat.  Ruth was able to glean from the fields to feed them both.  But ultimately, the Lord provided a kinsmen redeemer in Boaz who restored Ruth and Naomi back into a family.  He gave them back what they had lost.  Psalm 68:5-6 says "A father of the fatherless and a judge for the widows, Is God in His holy habitation. God makes a home for the lonely..."

The Lord fully intends for us to take care of orphans.  Yes, we can feed them, and clothe them, but ultimately what they need is to be restored "redeemed" back into a family!  

No comments:

Post a Comment