
There have been struggles, many of them. We remember the agony of dealing with family members who don't understand or support us. We remember the feelings of helplessness we had when the agency lost our sons file to the shared list and we didn't know if we would get it back. We remember the frustration in dealing with people who didn't care about orphans but who simply wanted to "do their job", which entailed severe complications and delays in our paperwork. All of these things have grown us. They have increased our faith and strengthened our dependence on The Lord. Through it all, He was there, encouraging us, guiding us and loving us.
So as we come close to traveling to China, I have been thinking very hard about new fundraisers and making plans for those. But in my heart I have heard a whisper, a whisper that says, "stop working". But I can't stop working, we still have over $13000 to go until we have enough money to complete the adoption! "Stop working." But we have to sell the rest of these cookbooks! "Stop working." But what if we don't have the money when we get travel approval, and our son, who has already waited 3 years for a family, has to wait even longer just because we don't have enough money? "Stop working."
In my blog post "My faith is too small", I talked about Gideon and how The Lord sent home most of his army. He did this so that there would be no doubt that He was the One who had won the battle. In our lives, He often works in similar ways. He will take a situation that seems insurmountable, and with "His right hand and His holy arm, He has gained the victory". (Psalm 98:1b). So if The Lord is the One who is going to win the battle, then what must we do? Shouldn't we fight? Shouldn't we "work" to do our part? Yes, sometimes I think that is what He wants us to do, but not always. Maybe sometimes He just wants us to "cease striving and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." (Psalm 46:11)

So if I'm not supposed to be working, what should I do? PRAY. I have come to see first hand many times over the years how powerful prayer is. I have heard many people talk about the power of prayer, and I have been one of them. But is prayer powerful, or is it God who is powerful? Well, I think we all know the answer to that. You can pray to a golden calf, but will it answer? Does the golden calf have any power to do anything? Of course not. But God, the God of the Bible, the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, Elohim, the God of power and might, HE is "...able to do far more abundantly beyond all that we ask or think, according to the power that works within us." (Ephesians 3:20).
We should pray. "Therefore, confess your sins to one another, and pray for one another so that you may be healed. The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months. Then he prayed again, and the sky poured rain and the earth produced its fruit." (James 5:16-18) My first reaction is to say, "but I am not Elijah, my prayers can't make it rain or stop the rain or raise $13000!" But the scripture says that Elijah "was a man with a nature like OURS".
I believe the Bible. I believe every word. I believe that it is the holy, infallible word of God. So if He says that my prayers accomplish much, then I am going to pray. Will you pray with me? Will you seek His face and pray? Don't just pray for us, for our adoption. Pray for those around you that you know that are lost. Pray for those around you that need the healing that only Christ can give. Pray for those around you who are depressed and disheartened. Pray for yourself. Pray that God will reveal your hidden sin and that you will confess your sin, repent and turn to Him daily. Pray that God will send revival to our nation. Pray that your children will know God and seek Him with their whole heart. Pray.
Join our family this Lenten season (which starts Wednesday, March 5) as we prepare to celebrate our Risen Savior. Join us in praying and seeking the Face of the One true God in earnest prayer. This Lent, don't be worried so much about what you "give up" as what you "GIVE". Do you think God is impressed when we give up doughnuts, but don't even spend time with Him in prayer? (We love doughnuts btw). Pray.
PLEASE PRAY.
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." (Phil 4:6).
"Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:12-13)
"The Lord is near to all who call upon Him,To all who call upon Him in truth. He will fulfill the desire of those who fear Him;He will also hear their cry and will save them." (Psalm 145:18-19)
********UPDATE: I have "stopped working" only for a few days, only for a few hours really, but in the past 24 hours, The Lord has blessed us with more funds than we raised in MONTHS! He is going abundantly beyond what we could have dreamed. So we will keep on praying and "ceasing". He is ABLE!
We go in the morning to meet with the pediatric cardiologist to discuss Fishers heart condition and our future plans. We ask that you pray for clarity and wisdom as we begin this part of the journey. Praise God from whom all blessing flow!************

No comments:
Post a Comment