| THE SUNGLASSES |
"What the wicked dread will overtake them;
what the righteous desire will be granted."
what the righteous desire will be granted."
Proverbs 10:24
More than anything, this blog is a way for our family to chronicle God's hand in our lives. I used to keep a binder, filled with loose leaf paper that had entries where I had made notes of things God has done for us over the years. The blog is an easier way to keep a record. Like I have said many times, I am not a good writer, so I never intended for anyone else to read this or be entertained by it, but if it helps someone, that would be a blessing.
So Greg's birthday was last week. I knew what he wanted, but because we are watching every penny right now saving for our adoption, I also knew we didn't need to spend the money. He had a pair of Costa sunglasses that he was so proud of because he had kept up with them for 7 years. I thought he was pretty good to have kept up with them for so long. But last year he lost them when he went on his first mission trip to Nicaragua.
So, he has been wanting another pair ever since he lost them. I kept thinking something might work out to where I would find a deal or something on a pair. I called my sister in law the week before his birthday to see if she could help me. No luck. It was going to cost me full retail if i was going to get him the sunglasses, and the ones he lost were $350. So, I talked to him and we decided not to get them. We need every penny to put toward our adoption. He told me after his birthday came and went that several times he almost went to Bass Pro Shops and gave in and bought them himself. He said he just really wanted them. But he decided not to give in to the desire of his flesh.
So my best friend was in town last week visiting and I was telling her the story. She had some sunglasses that were like Costas, polarized fishing glasses, just less expensive, but she said she liked them and thought they were almost as good as Costas for fishing. (For those that dont know, Costas make it easier to see fish in the water because they remove the glare). Long story short, she ended up giving Greg the sunglasses. He was happy with them, and they didnt cost us a thing. We talked later about how God had provided for him. They were not exactly the sunglasses he wanted, but they worked and he like them.
Fast forward a couple of days. Greg's brother called him and was telling him that he bought a pair of Costas from a guy for $60. Greg's brother is like that. I promise it seems like he is always coming across deals. Well lo and behold, he didnt like the sunglasses and put them in the mail to Greg. So just in case you missed what happened, lets recap...Greg, denied himself spending money on replacing sunglasses he lost while serving the Lord in Nicaragua...and the Lord provided him with the exact sunglasses he lost PLUS a backup pair! It is just exactly what He does. He always gives us above and beyond what we hope or ask for...double!!
Its the small things that the Lord does that amazes me most. Why does He care about things we desire? Why does He provide the things we need AND the things we want? We are so unworthy of His love, but so grateful.
Oh and by the way, the scripture above was from our family Bible reading time tonight lol.
No comments:
Post a Comment