Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Persecution has many faces

I knew from the beginning this adoption journey would be a challenge to say the least.  I knew it was going to take a long time, require lots of paperwork, would be expensive and would stretch my faith and my limits as a parent.  But what has been most surprising about this adoption so far is the way people react when we tell them we are adopting.  Some are pleasantly surprised, but most simply don't understand...and some are even downright rude when it infringes upon their "comfort". 

What I have come to realize is that persecution comes in many forms and many faces.  When I think about persecution, I guess I have always pictured the apostles and early Christians, people who were tortured and died for their faith in Christ.  I think about those in other countries today, even, who are beaten and abused for being Christian.  But it seems that persecution could also come in other forms...like judgement or disdain, or even simply sarcastic comments toward a family that chooses to home educate or adopt a special needs child from another country.  Its seems that our society has placed limits somehow on families and what they "should" look like...how many children one should have and what nationality they should be.  People don't seem to understand why a person who already has 3 kids would (or should) want more, for sure not more from another country!  I mean, don't you already have your hands full?  Everyone has their opinion.  Lots of people don't understand, and sometimes this can become a type of persecution.  Sometimes, its just because they haven't seen the light, yet.  I know Greg and I used to think the same way until God changed our hearts. 

When you are treated badly and feel different or uncomfortable because of the choices you make to follow Jesus, that is a type of persecution.  Have you been there?  Well don't feel alone, because you aren't.

"Be strong and courageous, do not be afraid or tremble at them, for the Lord your God is the One who goes with you.  He will not fail you or forsake you."  Deuteronomy 31:6

Maybe that is why in this passage it tells us that children may cause us to have to contend with enemies in the gate:

"How blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them (children); they will not be ashamed when they speak with their enemies in the gate."  Psalm 127:5

Jesus said it would be this way.  He said that following Him wouldn't be easy.  He said to follow Him we must take up our cross DAILY. 

We are blessed so that we can bless others and share our abundance.  We are comforted so that we can comfort others.  He first loved us, so we can love others.  Our purpose on this earth is not to try to see how much stuff we can get, how stylishly we can dress, how beautifully we can decorate our houses and how comfortable we can make ourselves (I used to think it was).  But let me tell you...this is NOT a popular reality...and it will cause persecution.  We are called to help "the least of these"...and Jesus said that when we do, it is just like we are doing it for Him.   

“The King will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.’ " Matthew 25:40

Our family has been so blessed.  We have room in our home and in our hearts for more children...so why not the "least of these"?  

So in case you are still wondering why we are adopting...we simply say...WHY NOT?  

1 comment:

  1. I admire you Gia for standing strong in your faith, being a wonderful mother & wife. I've seen you grow up from a precious little girl into a strong woman who practices her beliefs and sets an example for others. Never doubt for a minute that you don't inspire others because you do. I'm very proud of the person you've become & I think it's wonderful that you and your husband have decided to adopt. There will be a very lucky child that you'll add to your family. All children deserve to be loved. Those that question this simply don't understand & hopefully one day they will. God bless you both & your children.
    I'm very proud of you!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete